Finish 12th and planning to join Merchant Navy but do not know the procedure you are at the right place.
Join Merchant Navy after 12th science, yes you heard it right if you want to join Merchant Navy as an officer you have to have a science background but you can join Merchant Navy after 10th as a rating we have covered it in another article. You can join Merchant Navy as deck or engine officer. But if you want to join just after passing out from 12 and do not have much interest in Engineering then deck side is the write choice for you otherwise you can go for engine side also however for that the procedure is different, in this article we will cover how to join as deck officer after doing Diploma in Nautical Science (1 year course) or B.Sc in Nautical Science (3 year course). you can join Merchant navy after 12th by following these steps:-
- Eligibility criteria:- Minimum of 60% in PCM (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) in 12 standard exam and must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks in English either in 10th or 12th standard from a recognized board.
- Age limits:- Maximum age limit of candidates as on date of commencement of pre-sea maritime course shall be as follows:- General category-25 years, SC/ST-30 years, OBC-28 years and for women relaxation of additional 2 years in each category. Now if you are eligible you can do these steps:-
- Company or College sponsorship :- It’s better to get sponsor first and then give IMU CET because most of the company and college sponsorship test start much earlier than that. Normally company or college sponsor you on the basis of your rank in their tests. These tests consist of :- Online test, Interview, Medical test(joining candidates should be physically fit), after clearing all these tests you are a sponsor candidate. Registration fee varies from colleges to colleges normally INR 1000/-
- “Common Entrance Test”(CET):- It is a online test for admission in all pre-sea maritime colleges conducted by IMU for all DGS approved maritime colleges. As we discussed above there are two ways you can join as deck officer so you have to choose respectively for which you are going to give test. CET is conducted in the first week of June and first week of January. Registration fee INR 1000/-
- Online Counselling:- There is common online counselling of the candidates for admission in various colleges.
- Merit list:- After clearing all the exams their is a final merit list which is enrolled by the maritime colleges. Now if you have cleared all the exams and your name is in the merit list you can join your respective colleges for whatever course you have opted for.
Confused whether to join Merchant Navy, check this Is Merchant Navy a good career option? your all doubts will be cleared after going through this.