Do not have PCM in 12th Standard no problem you can join Merchant Navy after 10th Standard as a rating
We will cover everything you need to join Merchant Navy after 10th Standard. There is a course known as GP rating which you can do even if you do not have PCM in 12th Standard. First we should know what GP rating is, GP rating means General Purpose rating, it consists of two category Deck and Engine. you can choose any one of them depends upon on your interest.
Course, eligibility, fee structure and top 5 Institutes for GP rating course-
Name: Pre-sea course for General Purpose Rating.
Duration: It is a 6 month course
Date of Commencement: Course commence on the first day of January and July every year.
Minimum Academic Qualification:
- 10th Standard- Minimum 40% marks with Science, Mathematics as subjects and 40% marks in English at 10th or 12th from a recognized board.
- 12th Standard- Minimum 40% marks with any stream and 40% marks in English at 10th or 12th from a recognized board.
- ITI course- Pass in 2 year ITI course (Fitter / Machinist / Mechanic / Welder / Turner) approved by DVET / NCVT with minimum 40% marks in final year of ITI and minimum 40% marks in English at 10th or 12th.
Age Limit: Minimum age 17.5 years and maximum age 25 years on the date of commencement of course.
Physical Standards: Candidates should be physically and medically fit, requirement for sight is 6/6 in both eyes.
The course fee for General Purpose Rating is approximately INR 1,80,000/- to 2,30,000/-
Top 5 Institutes for GP rating course:
- TS Rahaman, Mumbai
- NUSI Maritime Academy, Goa
- Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies, Lonavala, Maharashtra
- BP Marine Academy Panvel campus, Mumbai
- Shri Ram Institute of Marine Studies, New Delhi
But i will recommend top 2 Institutes because some companies come for placement in those Institutes.
Go for GP rating if you really want to join merchant navy because after that you can give exam for Officer rank (2nd mate) also. But please be careful of fraud agents, they lure you to give ships and take advantage of you.
Any doubt? ask your doubts in the comment section down below.
If you have PCM in 12th standard than check this Join Merchant Navy after 12th